For Valentine’s Day earlier this month my Husband and I booked a little staycation at the Ham Yard Hotel in Soho. I had been wanting to try the hotel designed by husband-and-wife-team Tim and Kit Kemp ever since it opened and Valentine’s Day was the perfect excuse. Here are some reasons that I loved it, and why you should book a room, a table, or even just a seat at the bar.
(1) The Apartments. I’m not quite sure when the last time was that I’ve been in a hotel suite this massive. We stayed in Apartment 2 and it was incredible. (The second that I walked in, I wanted to throw a dinner party for our nearest and dearest, but alas it was all about couple time, and so instead of using the massive space for entertaining, I used it for a dance party with their incredible sound system.) After having high tea, more on that below, we watched movies and had delicious room service. It was the perfect night away from the kids. I’ve always loved the idea of living in an apartment, (even if it is just for a short amount of time). But it’s just so hard to find an apartment that is suitable for a family. Although on saying that, my friend did say that there are quite a few apartments to rent where she lives in New York that would be ideal for a small family. As good as moving to NYC sounds, it is not in our immediate future and if we did want to move into an apartment, it would have to be one that is local to us. For the time being though, we just want to enjoy the experience that staying in Apartment 2 has given us.
(2) The Decor. It was about time that a hotel like the Ham Yard opened. The decor is funky and fun and really different than any other hotel in London. While I adore The Dorchester, and all of the super glam hotels in London, those are all about being prim and proper. It’s ball gowns there and it’s leather trousers with high stilettos at the Ham Yard. Around every bend of the hotel there is a new room with extraordinary decor to explore and admire. After being there for two days, I feel like there were still parts I didn’t see. Think color color color, crazy patterns, bright fabrics, gorgeous light fixtures, and cool wall hangings.
(3) The High Tea. High tea is served in various nooks and corridors of the hotel so that wherever you are seated you are having your own intimate experience. The assortment of sandwiches and cakes were incredible, and of course perfectly Valentine’s Day themed. I loved that the menu had tea add-ons (bigger sandwiches etc) so that if you wanted to you could really make it a meal, which is exactly what we did.
(4) The Cocktails. The bar at the Ham Yard is a place to see and be seen. My Husband recognized several famous footballers (I didn’t really care but he was excited) and their entourages. The clientele is definitely London-city trendy and chic. More importunately the cocktails are delicious. There are always special concoctions on the menu, and it’s definitely worth going to visit just for a drink or two!
(4) The Nail Bar. The Soholistic Nail bar is located just around the corner from the hotel and is an extension of the spa inside the hotel. It’s called a nail bar, but it’s far more sophisticated and really feels like you are in a spa meant just for nails. I had a wonderful shellac manicure, and immediately regretted not booking a pedicure in the welcoming chair. I’m also dying to go back to the actual hotel spa for some pampering.
(5) The Party Planning Potential. We left the hotel relaxed and extremely full. After a big breakfast with some friends who were visiting from NYC, we continued to poke around the hotel. The lower level has a bowling alley, movie theatre and various other rooms that can be used for private events. Apart from going back to test out the spa, I feel like there is definitely a party I need to throw at the Ham Yard. Dance party in the bowling alley anyone?
The Ham Yard Hotel, A Firmdale Hotel, 1 Ham Yard, London W1D 7DT
All photos were taken by yours truly, so if you’d like to use them, please ask for permission first- thanks!
Leave a Reply